Assistant Professor of Technical and Professional Writing
- Location details
- Prescott, AZ
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university, Nonprofit organization
- Employment category
- Academic Hiring Standards
- Hiring standards
The Department of Humanities and Communication at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Prescott, AZ, is seeking to fill a 9-month, tenure-track position in the area Technical and Professional Writing.
The successful candidates will teach a 4/4 load of undergraduate courses in professional writing, business communication, as well as other writing and humanities courses that fit the department’s needs and the candidate’s interests. Candidates will have a 3/3 teaching load in the first year and can receive additional course reassignments for research.
The successful candidate will support the department, college, and campus through service as well as cultivate and maintain a research agenda in the candidate’s area of expertise.
Embry-Riddle's Prescott Campus is respected worldwide for cutting-edge instruction and training for tomorrow's aviation, aerospace, security and intelligence leaders. Prescott is a mile-high city and its climate reflects seasonable weather excellent for flying. Daytime averages are 80°F in the summer and 45°F in the winter. At 5,000 ft. above sea level, it boasts a mild climate, clean air, pristine wilderness areas, and nearby national forests. The university is a small, private, residential university in the mountains of Arizona with approximately 3,500 students. Staff/faculty/student interaction is highly valued and is a central theme of our campus. It is located 100 miles north of Phoenix and 120 miles south of the Grand Canyon.
ERAU benefits include:
- Retirement Plan - ERAU offers immediate vesting and provides a 6% gift and will match up to 4% of employee contributions
- Two BC/BS health plans - PPO and high deductible plan with a health savings account
- Tuition waivers for employees, spouses, and dependent children
- Use of various campus services: fitness center, library, mail room and enjoy observation flights
Ph.D. or ABD in Rhetoric and Composition, Technical and Professional Writing, or related field at the time of the appointment. If ABD, all degree requirements must be completed by August 15, 2023. The candidate must have experience teaching writing courses at the college level as well as evidence of scholarship and an interest in professional development.
We are interested in candidates with expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Experience teaching technical writing and/or business communication courses that provide practical rhetorical knowledge to students in various majors
- Professional experience as a technical communicator/technical writer
- Course design that allows students to engage in service learning or experiential learning
- Collaborative teaching, team-teaching, or writing across the curriculum
- Professional experience writing in the disciplines (e.g., in intelligence-gathering communities, the gaming industry, engineering / simulations industries)
- Experience cultivating industry relationships to develop a professional writing internship course at the undergraduate level
The Department of Humanities and Communication offers a range of general education courses and a Humanities minor. We collaborate closely with other departments and programs to support the University’s core curriculum and STEM-related missions.
The successful candidate will join a diverse department with colleagues whose scholarship reaches across a wide range of specializations, including technical writing, writing program administration, rhetorical theory, media literacies, environmental literacy, social justice, cultural rhetorics, health communication, and experiential learning.
To ensure full consideration, please apply online at careers.erau.edu by uploading 1) a letter of application, 2) a CV, and 3) the names and contact information of three professional references. Review of applications will begin on February 5th and will continue until the position is filled. Only electronic applications will be considered.
Questions may be addressed to the search committee chair Dr. Jonathan Adams, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Similar searches: Full-time, 4-year college or university, Arizona, English, Professor, Assistant, Nonprofit organization