Visiting Assistant Professor - German (2-year term)
- Location details
- St. Joseph, Minnesota
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Non-tenure track
The Department of Languages and Cultures at the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University (CSB and SJU) is seeking applicants for a two-year position as a Visiting Assistant Professor of German beginning August 2023. The successful candidate will lead the German program (https://www.csbsju.edu/languages-and-cultures/german) and join supportive colleagues in the Chinese, Classics, French, and Japanese programs, who together constitute the Department of Languages and Cultures at CSB and SJU (https://www.csbsju.edu/languages-and-cultures).
The College of Saint Benedict (CSB), a liberal arts college for women, and Saint John’s University (SJU), a liberal arts college for men, are located in the central lakes area of Minnesota. Both are colleges in the Benedictine tradition that emphasize quality teaching and a commitment to intercultural learning. This commitment is reflected in a three-semester language requirement for students, our distinction as a top Fulbright scholarship producer, and one of the highest student study abroad participation rates in the country. Students, staff, and faculty from many diverse belief systems and backgrounds collectively bring a rich dimension to the academic life of the campuses. Please view our brochure regarding Higher Education in Catholic and Benedictine Tradition.
Together, the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University offer a common undergraduate curriculum, identical degree requirements, and a single academic calendar. The colleges offer the distinct benefit of two nationally recognized undergraduate institutions and one exceptional education. CSB and SJU firmly supports faculty research and professional development. For further information about the college and university, visit the web page http://www.csbsju.edu/about. A pre-employment background check will be conducted on semi-finalists prior to on-campus interview.
The campuses are minutes away from St. Cloud and 70 miles from Minneapolis and St. Paul. Some CSB and SJU faculty and staff choose to reside locally, while others commute or carpool from the Twin Cities. Both St. Cloud and the Twin Cities offer a wide range of fine arts, cultural, dining, recreational, and sporting opportunities.
Institutional Commitment to Diversity
The College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University believe that an excellent liberal arts education requires an understanding and appreciation of cultural difference. Please view our Institutional Statement on Diversity
CSB and SJU offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits program.
- Teaching a broad range of German language, culture, and literature courses as needed (3 courses in the Fall and 3 courses in the Spring)
- Curriculum development for the German program
- Advising students academically, on internships, and on study abroad options
- Supporting extracurricular student programming
- Collaborating with colleagues toward the continued, collective success of the Department of Languages and Cultures
- Ph.D. (or Ph.D. in hand by beginning of appointment)
- Native or near-native fluency in written and spoken German and English
- Potential for excellence in teaching German language, culture, and literature
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusive teaching practices
- Potential to teach diverse topics in German studies from elementary German language courses to a varied range of upper division classes
- Potential for excellence in advising and student engagement
- Enthusiasm for liberal arts education
- Active research agenda
Similar searches: Full-time, 4-year college or university, Professor, Assistant, Germanic, Minnesota
More search results
Instructor, Creative Writing
Eastern Illinois University
Literature Administrator Coordinator
Lecturer of Hebrew
Case Western Reserve University Department of Modern Languages and Literatures
Faculty Fellow in Asian/Pacific/American Studies
New York University Arts and Science
Tenure Track Position in Linguistics and Pedagogy
Department of English, National Central University