Instructor in Spanish Heritage Language
- Arizona State University
- Location details
- Tempe, Arizona
- Position type
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Non-tenure track
The School of International Letters and Cultures (SILC) at ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY invites applications for the position of Instructor in the area of Spanish Heritage Language (SHL) Pedagogy with appointment beginning August 16, 2023.
Essential Functions: The successful candidate will be expected to teach Spanish heritage lower-and-upper division courses, online, in-person, and/or hybrid, hold office hours, and work closely with the program director and coordinators of the SHL program (https://silc.asu.edu/spanish-heritage) to prepare course materials, assessment, syllabi, and assignments. Depending on areas of expertise, the candidate may teach upper-division/content courses. This is an in-person, full-time, benefits-eligible, non-tenure eligible appointment made on an academic year basis (Aug.16 – May 15). A typical full-time course load is four classes per academic semester. Subsequent annual renewal is possible contingent upon satisfactory performance, availability of resources, the needs of the university, and sufficient enrollment in assigned courses.
The College values cultural and intellectual diversity, and continually strives to foster a welcoming and inclusive environment. We are especially interested in applicants who can strengthen the diversity of the academic community.
Learn more about what The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences has to offer by viewing https://thecollege.asu.edu/faculty. Arizona State University is a leading major public university committed to inclusion and excellence in research and education.
- M.A. in Spanish, or related field, by time of appointment.
- Three years’ experience in higher education teaching Spanish heritage language courses.
- Evidence of effective teaching on-line.
- Evidence of native/near-native proficiency in both Spanish and English.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion among diverse student populations.
- Ph.D. in Spanish, Spanish Linguistics, Applied Linguistics or related field by time of appointment.
- Demonstrated experience with heritage program promotion and outreach to diverse communities.
- Demonstrated evidence of research interests and expertise in heritage teaching methodologies.
- Demonstrated proficiency in appropriate technologies in language instruction.
- Ability to teach upper-division coursework within our current curriculum. For related information, please see https://silc.asu.edu/degrees/spanishand https://asuonline.asu.edu/online-degree-programs/undergraduate/bachelor-arts-spanish/ .
To guarantee full consideration, applicants must apply electronically to: http://apply.interfolio.com/122070 submitting a complete dossier that consists of the following:
- Cover letter outlining teaching philosophy, and how the applicant's experiences fit the qualifications listed above.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness (quantitative and sample of qualitative data from teaching evaluations).
- A statement addressing how your past and/or potential contributions to diversity and inclusion will advance ASU’s commitment to inclusive excellence.
- Contact information for 3 references.
The applicant’s last name should appear in each uploaded file name. A cover letter can be addressed to Sara Beaudrie Search Committee Chair. The initial application deadline is April 21, 2023. If the position is not filled, applications will be reviewed every week thereafter until the search is closed.
Questions about the position should be directed to the search committee chair at: Sara.Beaudrie@asu.edu.
Background check is required for employment.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. (See https://www.asu.edu/aad/manuals/acd/acd401.html and https://www.asu.edu/titleIX/.)
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
COVID-19 Vaccination - Arizona State University is a federal contractor and subject to federal regulations which may require you to produce a record of a COVID-19 vaccination. For questions about medical or religious accommodations, please visit the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion’s webpage.
Similar searches: Full-time, 4-year college or university, Lecturer/instructor, Arizona, Spanish
More search results
Visiting Lecturer in French and German
Copy of International Faculty; Department of Engl…
Fort Hays State University English Department
Instructor of French
University of South Alabama, Mod & Classical Langs & Lit
Instructor of Writing and Literature
English Lecturer - Full Time
Middle Tennessee State English Department