F0249 - Assistant/Associate Professor - English & Foreign Languages
- Norfolk State University
- Location details
- Norfolk State University - Norfolk, Virginia
- Commensurate with experience and credentials
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Employment category
Norfolk State University (NSU), through exemplary teaching, scholarship and outreach, transforms lives and communities by empowering individuals to maximize their potential, creating life-long learners equipped to be engaged leaders and productive global citizens.
The Department of English and Foreign Languages offers a Bachelor of Arts degree in English, with a concentration in Creative Writing, French Literature, , or Spanish Literature. Additionally, English majors may obtain a secondary endorsement in English, French, or Spanish. The Department also offers students opportunities to study abroad while conversing in other languages such as Arabic, Chinese, French, Japanese and Spanish.
Norfolk State University’s Department of English and Foreign Languages seeks candidates for a tenure-track appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor in African American or Postcolonial Literature beginning August 2023.
The successful candidate will teach and develop undergraduate English courses at various levels. Teaching responsibilities will include classes in general education core as well as required and elective classes for the major. Actively engage in research, scholarship, and/or grantsmanship. Contribute to program and curriculum development. Attend departmental meetings, collegially engage with faculty, hold office hours, and meet University deadlines. Advise/mentor students and participate in recruitment activities. Participate in ongoing assessment and accreditation activities. Perform other duties as assigned by the Department Chair.
NSU is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all persons and applicants, without regard to age, color, disability, gender, national origin, political affiliation, genetic information, race, religion, sexual orientation, sex (including pregnancy) or veteran status. NSU encourages and invites minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
1. An earned Ph.D. degree in English with a specialization in African American literature, postcolonial literature, or a closely related subfield (ABD candidates will be considered on a case by casebasis)
2. Experience in teaching at the higher education level
3. Demonstrated record of scholarly research and publications in relevant subfields.
4. Demonstrated commitment to serving diverse and/or underrepresented student population
1. Considerable practice with face-to-face and online teaching and commitment to distance learning and online course delivery modalities.
2. Experience and commitment to excellence in teaching and scholarly activity at the university level with knowledge in areas of specialization in a discipline as stated above.
3. Demonstrated ability to communicate to a diverse student-body audience, both verbally and in writing, with emphasis applied to a commitmentto diversity.
4. Strong interpersonal and communication skills with all staff levels.
5. Earned Master’s Degree in Spanish or French.
6. Demonstrated experience and/or interest in developing and overseeing an internship program for English Majors.
7. Norfolk State University is particularly interested in candidates who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for all students regardless of background.
Similar searches: Full-time, 4-year college or university, English, Professor, Assistant, Virginia