Lecturer of American Sign Language
- UNC Greensboro
- Location details
- Greensboro, NC
- Position type
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- American Sign Language
- Language teaching
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Non-tenure track
- North Carolina
The Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures at the University of North Carolina Greensboro invites applications from individuals with established records of dynamic undergraduate teaching for a full-time, non-tenure-professional track position in ASL, effective August 1, 2023. Applicants are required to possess native or near-native fluency in ASL. The nominal teaching load for this non-tenure-track appointment is 4-4.
We are seeking an imaginative teacher who will complement the current curricular offerings, deliver courses on the undergraduate level in American Sign Language, and contribute to the extracurricular offerings of the program. The ASL lecturer provides quality learning opportunities that assist students in meeting their foreign language requirements and for students pursuing the ASL minor.
· Develop learning strategies that will promote successful teaching and learning in a learning-centered environment.
· Provide a high-quality and effective learning and teaching environment for students in accordance with the educational objectives of the university.
· Facilitate learning through classroom and out-of-classroom activities.
· Present instruction based on the student learning outcomes and performance levels of all courses taught, the ASL Program, and the department.
· Use course text, outlines, syllabi, and other curriculum materials in accordance with university and departmental guidelines.
- Master’s degree in Deaf Education, or Deaf Studies, or American Sign Language (ASL), or Education in Curriculum and Instruction with a BS in Professions in Deafness (or a related field), or another Master’s degree with 18 graduate credits of ASL-related course work completed by August 1, 2023.
- Applicants are required to possess native or near-native fluency in ASL.
- Experience teaching ASL at the university level. Experience in working with deaf populations and deaf culture required.
- Willingness to promote ASL and LLC at UNC Greensboro through active participation/leadership in extra and co-curricular initiatives.