Instructor Specialty: Writing Programs
- ASU Department of English
- Location details
- Tempe, Arizona
- Position type
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Composition and rhetoric
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Non-tenure track
The Department of English at Arizona State University invites applications for the position of Instructor. The successful candidate will be expected to teach courses primarily in the Writing Program and in other disciplinary areas within the department as needed. This is a full-time, benefits-eligible appointment made on an academic year basis (Aug 16 – May 15). A typical full-time course load is five classes per academic semester. Subsequent annual renewal is possible contingent upon satisfactory performance, the needs of the unit, availability of resources, and sufficient enrollment in assigned courses.
Anticipated start date is August 2023 (academic year) or January 2024 (spring semester)
- MA in Rhetoric and Composition, English Education, Linguistics, Literature, or related discipline at time of appointment; or MFA in Creative Writing at time of appointment.
- Evidence of three years’ experience in higher education teaching composition courses, and evidence of effective teaching.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion among diverse student populations.
- Ph.D. or evidence of graduate coursework beyond the master’s level in Rhetoric and Composition or related areas;
- Experience teaching writing at all levels of the undergraduate curriculum.
- Evidence of experience in both theory and practice within a writing intensive field, such as: academic writing, creative writing, developmental writing, disciplinary writing, second language writing, and workplace writing.
- Evidence of participation in relevant professional development; evidence of experience teaching multi-media composing or online/hybrid courses.
- Demonstrated success meeting the needs of underrepresented student populations and/or reaching out to diverse communities.
This is a paperless search; only electronic materials will be accepted. To apply, please submit electronically to: apply.interfolio.com/126221 the following:
- A letter of application,
- Current curriculum vita (CV),
- One-page statement of teaching philosophy,
- A statement addressing how your past and/or potential contributions to diversity and inclusion will advance ASU’s commitment to inclusive excellence.
- Three letters of recommendation about teaching ability,
- Unofficial graduate transcripts,
- Summary of recent teaching evaluations.
No paper applications, faxes or emails will be accepted.
The applicant’s last name should appear in each uploaded file name. Questions about the position should be directed to the search committee chair at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Initial review of application will begin on July 20, 2023, if not filled, applications review will continue every week thereafter until search is closed.
The College values our cultural and intellectual diversity, and continually strives to foster a welcoming and inclusive environment. We are especially interested in applicants who can strengthen the diversity of the academic community.
A background check is required for employment.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements - Arizona State University is a federal contractor and subject to federal regulations which may require you to produce a record of a COVID-19 vaccination. For questions about medical or religious accommodations, please visit the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion’s webpage.
More search results
Lecturer, Professional Writing and Rhetoric
Baylor University Departmet of English
Affiliate Faculty of First-Year Writing
Grand Valley State University Department of Writing
Assistant Teaching Professor, English And Writing
University of Tampa
Professor of Practice of Expository Writing
Tulane University English Department
Assistant/Associate Professor of English
PBAU Dept. of English