Assistant Professor, Performing Arts Department and the Department of English
- Location details
- St. Louis, MO
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Humanities, Creative writing, Literature, African American, Literature, American, Literature, British, Literature, global anglophone, Literature, non-English, Literature, other minority, Literature, multicultural
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY IN ST. LOUIS, Performing Arts Department and the Department of English– Assistant Professor. Washington University in St. Louis invites applications for a joint appointment for a tenure-track faculty position in the Performing Arts Department (75%) and the Department of English (25%) at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin in the fall semester of 2024. This position is open to a specialist in playwriting and/or other modes of writing for performance (e.g., opera/musical theatre libretti). Candidates with additional experience in devised, multi-mediated forms, adaptation, and/or translation are especially welcome to apply. An MFA in playwriting and/or an MFA or PhD in a closely related field is required at the time of appointment. Duties may include teaching “Introduction to Playwriting” and other courses, producing our annual Hotchner Festival of new student plays, maintaining an active profile writing for production and/or publication, advising students, participating in department governance, and university service. Diversity and Inclusion are core values at Washington University, and we seek to create inclusive classrooms and environments in which a diverse array of students can learn and thrive.
Application materials should include:
• a cover letter
• a curriculum vitae
• a statement of creative practice (tracing the trajectory of your creative vision as it has manifested in production and/or publication)
• a teaching statement (describing specific assignments or methods for convening an inclusive classroom or workshop space in which students can effectively meet learning objectives)
• a sample dossier of ≤ 25 pages of supporting material (e.g., short plays, excerpts from full-length plays, video links and/or reviews of produced works)
• upon request only: In late October, select candidates will be asked to submit a full-length writing sample of their choice, representative syllabi, and the names of three recommenders. These materials should be ready to submit by November 3rd. If letters of recommendation are further requested, they should be received by mid-December.
Materials should be submitted through Interfolio: https://apply.interfolio.com/129806
Applications received before October 2nd will receive full consideration. Consideration after that date will be at the discretion of the search committee.
Similar searches: Full-time, 4-year college or university, Creative writing, English, Professor, Assistant, Humanities, Literature, African American, Literature, American, Literature, British, Literature, global anglophone, Literature, non-English, Literature, other minority, Literature, multicultural, Missouri