Lecturer – IR/AT, English
- Location details
- Spokane, Washington
- Lecturer-IR: $25,819 - $27,541; Lecturer-AT: $31,3
- Position type
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Composition and rhetoric, Technical and business writing
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Non-tenure track
The English Department at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA, invites applications for one full-time, non-tenure-track faculty position in English beginning January 2024. This is a 4.5 month appointment with the possibility for renewal. We seek candidates committed to pursuing excellence in teaching who possess strong pedagogical abilities and a sensitivity to equity-minded teaching practices, including addressing questions of diversity, equity, and social justice within the first-year writing course. Ideal candidates will have experience teaching and mentoring students of all backgrounds, including those traditionally underrepresented in American higher education. This lecturer position is a 4-4 teaching load consisting primarily of English 101 (first-year writing), with the eventual possibility of an occasional other lower-division course in the department, depending on applicant’s qualifications.
Applicants should be comfortable working in a liberal arts teaching institution that fosters faculty collaboration and student engagement both inside and outside the classroom. The English Department and the College of Arts and Sciences are committed to inclusive excellence and to an intellectually vibrant and culturally inclusive community that actively promotes the success of a diverse population of undergraduate students, staff, and faculty.
For information on our mission, please visit: https://www.gonzag.edu/about/our-mission-jesuit-values/mission-statement
- Teach four courses per semester, typically all sections of ENGL 101, first-year writing.
- Support the department and the College through collegiality, broadly, and through academic service/citizenship at a level appropriate for the substantial teaching loads of Lecturer position.
- An M.A. in English, Rhetoric & Composition, or Technical Writing; or an M.F.A. in Creative Writing.
- Teaching experience at the post-secondary level, with evidence of teaching effectiveness, including the ability to effectively respond to the academic needs of learners from diverse backgrounds, identities, and experiences, and to use classroom strategies and pedagogies to foster and advance equity and inclusion.
- Evidence of experience in both theory and practice within a writing intensive field such as: academic writing, technical writing, creative writing, workplace writing, second-language writing.
- An understanding of and/or willingness and ability to support Gonzaga’s Jesuit mission through the teaching of Core courses.
- Ph.D. in English, Rhetoric & Composition, Technical Writing, or closely related field. A candidate who is ABD also will be considered, with expectation that degree is in hand by December 1, 2023.
- Demonstrated experience in mentoring undergraduates from a variety of backgrounds and identities, including those historically marginalized in the academy (e.g., first-generation students, students from low-income families, students of color, LGBTQ+ students, students with disabilities).
- Experience as instructor of record of courses in technical and professional writing.
More search results
Lecturer of General Education Literature (Non-Ten…
Old Dominion University
Multi-Year Instructor/Assistant Professor of Span…
Winthrop University: College of Arts and Sciences
Lecturer of General Education Literature & Compos…
Old Dominion University
Lecturer in Russian and Language Program Coordina…
Lecturer in Italian
Stony Brook University