Clinical Assistant Professor - Director of Spanish Heritage Language Program
- Department of Hispanic and Italian Studies, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Location details
- Chicago, IL
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Language teaching
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Non-tenure track
The Department of Hispanic and Italian Studies and the School of Literatures, Culture Studies and Linguistics at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) announce a search to fill a full-time clinical non- tenure track faculty position at the Assistant Professor level in Hispanic Studies . UIC is a Hispanic Serving Institution. It is a diverse, linguistically rich, research-intensive university that provides a supportive environment for interdisciplinary research.
The Director of the Spanish Heritage Language Program, together with the Head of the Department, the Director of Undergraduate Studies, and the Faculty Heritage Language Consultant, develops the Spanish Heritage Language instruction program and coordinates all aspects of this program.
This hire is for a Fall 2020 start date.
- Organize all activities related to teaching (textbook selection, developing syllabi and course material, exams, administering online learning system).
- Staff all course sections with instructors who complete training requirements, including an interview
- Provide guidance and training to TAs and lecturers at orientation and during the semester via meetings and observations.
- Manage course scheduling and staffing.
- Communicate with the Disability Resource Center, Study Abroad, Athletics, Student Affairs, the office of Testing Services, the Language and Cultural Center for all services related to teaching.
- Oversee and implement policies and procedures (processing excused absence requests, course equivalency for study abroad, withdrawals, language exemption and change of grade requests).
- Consult as needed with the Faculty Advisor to the HLP.
- Other duties as determined by the Head, including teaching responsibilities.
- Candidates must hold a Ph.D. in Spanish by the starting date of August 16, 2020.
- Must have a strong teaching record, and have research interests in Spanish as a heritage language.
- Native or near-native competency in Spanish required.
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience in heritage language program direction, materials development, and blended learning
Applicants must be lawfully authorized to work in the United States.
The faculty in the Department of Hispanic and Italian Studies serves 118 majors, 105 minors, and over 50 graduate students. The department has MA and PhD programs in literature and linguistics and an MAT, which includes a teaching certification.
Please visit our website to learn more about our department and faculty: https://lcsl.uic.edu/hispanic-italian
For fullest consideration, please complete an on-line application at https://jobs.uic.edu/job-board/job-details?jobID=122749 and upload a C.V., cover letter and sample syllabus and the names and email addresses of 3 references by December 2, 2019.
The University of Illinois at Chicago is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty and staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment. We strongly encourage applications from women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and covered veterans.
The University of Illinois may conduct background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
More search results
Assistant Professor in Second Language Acquisitio…
Connecticut College (Hispanic Studies Department)
Assistant Professor of TESOL
Mississippi State University- English Department
Sava Ranisavljevic Postdoctoral Fellowship in Jud…
Northwestern Department of Spanish and Portuguese
Tenure Track Position in Indigenous Studies
Department of English - Ryerson University
Professor and Department Chair (English)
UTSA Department of English