Chair, Department of English, Languages and Linguistics
- Location details
- Wenham, MA
- Position type
- Department chair, Professor, Associate, Professor, Full
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- English education, Literature, British
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
The Department of English, Languages, and Linguistics at Gordon College invites applications for a Department Chair (Associate or Full Professor), whose teaching and research focuses on British Literature post-1700. Position to begin August 2024. Rank will be commensurate with experience.
The Department of English, Languages, and Linguistics includes two majors (English and Linguistics), four minors (English, Linguistics, Spanish, French), and two concentrations (Professional Writing and Creative Writing). The department values excellence in teaching and mentoring, and a commitment to the integration of faith and learning. We are also committed to helping students explore how a robust liberal arts education leads to concrete vocational opportunities.
Gordon College is a Christian liberal arts college located in Massachusetts on Boston’s North Shore, a beautiful coastal area with easy access to Boston. Core to the Gordon College mission and curriculum are faculty commitments to integrate faith, learning, and living; cultivate imagination with a disposition of hope; and inspire creative contributions to God’s purposes in a wide range of disciplines. The Gordon College community has made a commitment to pursuing shalom, a right ordering of relationships and actions resulting in the affirmation of human dignity and the flourishing of community. We are interested in candidates who can help us live out this commitment through research and practice.
- Teaching a range of literature courses, with upper-level courses focused on British Literature after 1700
- Academic advising for English majors and minors
- Service on college committees
- Departmental scheduling and staffing
- Oversight and development for departmental faculty
- Representation of the department across campus
The ideal candidate will have:
- PhD in English literature
- Personal commitment to Christianity, the Christian mission of the College, and the integration of faith and learning in literary studies
- Ability to work collaboratively with faculty colleagues and other campus stakeholders
- Ability to think innovatively about traditional humanities disciplines and the liberal arts
- Administrative and leadership skills, including the ability to manage assessment work
- Demonstrated excellence in undergraduate teaching
- An active research program
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the context of Christian higher education
Interested applicants must submit:
- Cover letter that addresses the applicant’s interest in this position, which should include fit with the Christian mission of Gordon College; teaching and research interests; administrative experience; and approach to leadership in higher education
- CV that includes the names and contact information for three references
- A sample of academic or professional writing (20-30 pages)
To Apply: Please go to http://apply.interfolio.com/130492. Our review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Gordon College is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants for employment will receive consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, national origin, or disability.