Instructor of First-Year Composition
- SUNY Cortland English Department
- Location details
- Cortland, NY 13045
- Low 50s
- Position type
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Composition and rhetoric
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
- New York
The State University of New York at Cortland seeks a candidate for the tenure-track position of Instructor in the First-Year Composition Program. The successful candidate will also have opportunities to teach occasional undergraduate courses in the English Department’s Professional Writing and English major programs.
- 4/3 teaching load, with primary teaching responsibility in SUNY Cortland’s Composition Program.
- Engagement the field of writing studies with conference attendance and presentations.
- Participate in department and college-wide committees and other forms of service.
Required Qualifications: Master’s degree in Rhetoric and Composition, English, or related field, as well as at least three years teaching experience in first-year writing.
Preferred qualifications: Ph.D. in Rhetoric and Composition, English, or related field; background in writing pedagogy; demonstrated engagement with their scholarly field; and commitment to participating in an active teaching community.
Review of applications begins December 1, 2023 and application materials will be accepted until the position is filled.
Required Materials Include:
- Letter of Application
- List of 3 professional references who can address the candidate’s teaching effectiveness
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy: Please include a Teaching Philosophy that uses concrete examples to discuss pedagogical theory, inclusive teaching practices, experiential or applied learning, and/or ways in which you integrate diversity, equity, and social justice in your courses
As one of the largest departments on campus, English offers students different methods for exploring language through literary and cultural compositions, as well as the production of texts. Our award-winning faculty offer a variety of courses in literature, professional writing, adolescence education, and composition. The department is comprised of 19 tenure-track faculty, 9 Full-Time Lecturers, and 11 Adjunct Lecturers.
SUNY Cortland is a comprehensive college in the state system, located in the Finger Lakes region of Central New York, four hours from New York City and approximately thirty miles from both Syracuse University and Cornell University. SUNY Cortland is an AA/EEOADA employer. We have a strong commitment to the affirmation of diversity and have interdisciplinary degree programs in areas of multicultural studies.
Apply online at: https://jobs.cortland.edu/postings/7756
The State University of New York College at Cortland is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity/Americans with Disabilities Act (AA/EEO/ADA) employer. The university actively seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would enrich the diversity of the university.