Assistant Professor of Spanish
- Creighton University
- Location details
- Omaha, NE
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
Assistant Professor of Spanish
Creighton University’s Department of Modern Languages and Literatures invites applications for an Assistant Professor of Spanish. This is a tenure track position beginning in August 2024 and candidates should have experience teaching at the undergraduate level. Candidates will teach a 3-3 undergraduate course load based upon experience and departmental needs, including language and upper-level courses. A Ph.D. in Spanish or relevant field is required. We are seeking a candidate with a specialization in Latino or Afro-Hispanic Literature with a preference for candidates who have an interest in community engagement, service learning, and especially teaching languages for special purposes (translation, medical, business, etc.).
Successful candidates for this position will also participate actively in a new multidisciplinary initiative focused upon the topic of “Race and Social Justice”, which is expected as a line of inquiry in teaching and/or research.
- A Ph.D. in Spanish (or a closely related field) is required.
- Ability to foster student learning, development, and decision making in support of their goals, success, wellness, and needs
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to develop rapport quickly and effectively with a diversity of populations
- Empathy and compassion for the experiences of others
How to Apply
- Applicants must apply with the following materials attached:
- A cover letter that includes the candidate’s vision of how they will contribute to the University’s overall mission.
- Curriculum Vitae
- A 500-word statement describing how their line of inquiry in teaching and/or scholarly or creative work is informed by the theme of “Race and Social Justice”.
- One-page Statement of teaching philosophy
Applicants selected for an interview will also be asked to submit:
- Three letters of recommendation, at least two of which should speak to the candidate’s teaching ability, should be sent directly to the Chair of Modern Languages, Dr. José McClanahan at email@example.com.
- Provide a writing sample of at least 15 pages.
- Original academic transcripts from all institutions of higher education attended (photocopies acceptable during initial application process)
Review of completed applications will begin October 27, 2023 and continue until the position is filled. First round interviews will be conducted via zoom in the late Fall of 2023.
If you have any questions or issues submitting your application or materials, please don’t hesitate to contact HR@creighton.edu.
Tips: You cannot attach a file that exceeds the allocated limit of 5120 kilobytes. You can attach a maximum of 25 files, one at a time. The search tool that recruiters use to search for candidates will not be able to analyze the content of some attached files, mostly image files (.jpeg/.png) and compressed files (.zip).
At Creighton, you are part of something big. Your skills and passions unite with thousands of faculty, staff and students inspired to change the world. Here, we offer meaningful work driven by a 475-yearold Jesuit tradition committed to social justice and serving others. Through this tradition, we push the boundaries on innovation. We pursue new knowledge for the betterment of society. We seek to improve our world through Catholic and Jesuit values. And it all starts with you.
Omaha is a diverse community of 850,000 with four Fortune-500 companies, an active sports scene, and a vibrant arts community. Recent Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education College rankings recognized Creighton University among the top 20% of institutions in its survey and among the Top 10 big-city colleges in the Midwest. Creighton University also ranks in the top third of National Universities in U.S. News & World Report’s and was previously recognized for 16 years in a row as No. 1 among Best Regional Universities – Midwest.
Over the past 17 years, Creighton is the No. 1 Goldwater-producing Catholic university in the country and in the top 20 of private universities producing Goldwater Scholars over the past decade.
Creighton University is committed to providing a safe and non-discriminatory educational and employment environment. The University admits qualified students, hires qualified employees and accepts patients for treatment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, disability, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or other status protected by law. Its education and employment policies, scholarship and loan programs, and other programs and activities, are administered without unlawful discrimination.
More search results
Visiting Assistant Professor or Instructor of Ger…
Lecturer in Spanish Studies
Santa Clara University
Queen’s National Scholar Position in Indigenous L…
Department of English and Creative Writing, Queen's University
Department Chair – Arts, Humanities, and Social S…
Florida Polytechnic University
Assistant Professor of Writing Studies