Assistant Professor of English
- Location details
- Seguin, TX
- Position type
- Other, Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Composition and rhetoric, English education, Interdisciplinary
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
Texas Lutheran University invites applications for a full time, tenure track faculty position at the Assistant Professor level in the Department of Communication, Cultures, English & World Languages to begin August 2024. This position will also direct the Composition Program.
Requirements for the position include:
- Ph.D. in English, Rhetoric & Composition or in a related field. ABD candidates will be considered if degree will be completed by August 2024.
- Ability to teach upper and lower division courses in both literature and composition.
- Ability to direct the Composition Program, including handling accompanying administrative duties.
- Ability to design innovative writing curriculum with particular attention to antiracist and social justice pedagogies.
- Understanding and support of the mission of Texas Lutheran University.
In our considerations, preference will be given to candidates who:
- Have an interdisciplinary background, especially in one of the affiliated programs in the Department of Communication, Cultures, English & World Languages.
- Teach in one or more of the following areas: African American literature, Latinx literature, global and/or postcolonial literature.
The interdisciplinary Department of Communication, Cultures, English & World Languages houses the connected programs in English, Composition, Communication, Spanish, and Mexican American Studies. Faculty have opportunities to teach courses across those fields.
To be fully considered for this position, each candidate should submit the following materials as a single electronic file (pdf preferred):
- Letter of application addressing the above criteria
- Current curriculum vitae
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Statement that addresses your past or potential future contributions to diversity through teaching, research, or service and/or your experience working with underrepresented student populations.
- Contact information for three professional references (names, addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers).
Separately, arrange for three confidential letters of recommendation to be submitted. At least one of the letters should specifically address the candidate’s teaching experience.
Please send your submissions to
Dr. Steven S. Vrooman
Chair, Department of Communication, Cultures, English & World Languages
Review of applications will begin December 1 and will continue until the position is filled.
Texas Lutheran University, a Hispanic-Serving Institution, seeks applicants who are eager to join a culturally diverse community of learning. Our student body, reflective of the diversity of the State of Texas, is well over 40% Hispanic/Latinx, with a strong Black/African American presence as well. Candidates who have professional skills, experience, and/or the willingness to engage in teaching, collaborative research, and community service with our diverse student body are particularly sought.
Salary is competitive, with excellent benefits. TLU is affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The ELCA’s 26 colleges and universities value and practice academic freedom while preparing women and men for lives of leadership and service in a diverse world. For more information, consult our website at www.tlu.edu.
TLU is an official U.S. News & World Report “Best Colleges” selection among regional colleges in the West, ranking third on the list for “Best Value”. This is the ninth consecutive year TLU has been featured on the “Best Value” rankings. Other notable recognitions include TLU’s acknowledgment as a top 20 regional college for Social Mobility—the fifth year the university has appeared in this category.
TLU is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and is also subject to the provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA). The University is committed to enhancing diversity and inclusion across all levels of the University. Candidates who believe they can contribute to this goal are strongly encouraged to apply.