Assistant Professor of English (Early American Literature)
- Location details
- Huntsville, Texas
- Salary to commensurate with education & experience
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Literature, American
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
Assistant Professor of English—American Literature Before 1865, especially Colonial (Fall 2024)
The Department of English at Sam Houston State University seeks applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor in American Literature Before 1865. The successful candidate might focus on the colonial period, Latinx literature, Latin-American writing, Native American/Indigenous literature, or intersections of these literatures. An earned PhD in English by August 21, 2024 is required.
- Experience teaching college-level courses as instructor of record.
- Evidence of excellent communication skills
- Evidence of an active research agenda that reflects the desired specialization in areas that represent a commitment to the representation of marginalized groups in the early American experience.
The chosen candidate will teach three courses per semester (face-to-face or online) encompassing undergraduate and MA-level courses that may include courses in any of the following areas: early American literature, Latinx literature, world literature, Native American/Indigenous literature, and freshman composition. Other required activities include:
- Cultivating and maintaining an active research agenda
- Supporting the department, college, and university through service
- Actively engaging in recruitment and curriculum development
Interested applicants should apply online at https://shsu.peopleadmin.com/postings/36842
The application will require the following materials:
- Letter of interest that includes the scope of a vibrant and rigorous research agenda
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Curriculum vitae
- Three letters of recommendation
- All academic transcripts (Applicants may submit unofficial transcripts for initial screening; however, official transcripts are required for credential review prior to hiring.)
- For ABD applicants: A letter from your dissertation director confirming that the PhD will be conferred by August 21, 2024.
Additional materials may be requested throughout the consideration process.
Home to a distinctive student population of over 21,100, Sam Houston State University (SHSU) is located in Huntsville, Texas, on the rapidly developing Interstate-45 corridor between Houston and Dallas. SHSU is 70 miles north of downtown Houston and 170 miles south of Dallas, ideally situated between the 4th and 9th largest cities in the country and two of the 10 fastest growing cities in the U.S.
SHSU prides itself on providing a quality education to all students, with a student body comprised of more than 50% first-generation students. As a majority minority institution, SHSU has been designated as an Hispanic-Serving Institution. A great name in Texas education, Sam Houston State University offers over 85 bachelor's degree programs, more than 60 master’s degree programs, 10 doctoral programs, and 1 professional doctoral program (DO), including award-winning programs, nationally and internationally recognized scholars, and innovative initiatives to help students develop and succeed. SHSU is classified as a “R2: Doctoral University—High Research Activity” by the Carnegie Commission on Higher Education, and it was recently recognized by U.S. News and World Report for being one of the top performers in social mobility. In addition, the Carnegie Commission on Higher Education classified SHSU as a "Community Engaged" university. This honor has been awarded to 311 public institutions nationwide, and it acknowledges SHSU’s significant commitment to serving the community.
Inquiries should be directed to:
Dr. Kandi Tayebi, Professor of English
Apply at https://shsu.peopleadmin.com/postings/36842. Review of materials will begin December 1, 2023; incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Sam Houston State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and Smoke/Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, ancestry, marital status, citizenship, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or gender identity or expression. Sam Houston State University is an “at will” employer. Employees with a contract will have additional terms and conditions. Security sensitive positions at SHSU require background checks in accordance with Education Code § 51.215.
More search results
Lecturer in Spanish Studies
Santa Clara University
Queen’s National Scholar Position in Indigenous L…
Department of English and Creative Writing, Queen's University
Department Chair – Arts, Humanities, and Social S…
Florida Polytechnic University
Assistant Professor of Writing Studies
Assistant Professor of Writing Studies and Direct…