Tenure-Track Assistant Professor in Asian or Latin American Cinema
- Location details
- Fullerton, California
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Comparative literature, Cultural studies, Technology and digital media, Film and media studies
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
- Academic Hiring Standards
- Hiring standards
Department of Cinema and Television Arts
College of Communications
The Department of Cinema and Televisions Arts at California State University, Fullerton, invites applications for a tenure‐track Assistant Professor position in Asian Cinema and Media Studies OR Latin American Cinema and Media Studies with an appointment to begin Fall 2024.
California State University, Fullerton (CSUF) is a minority-serving institution, affirmative action, and equal opportunity employer. CSUF is firmly committed to increasing the diversity of the campus community and the curriculum and fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators, and faculty thrive. Candidates who can contribute to this goal through their teaching, research, advising, and other activities are encouraged to identify their strengths and experiences. Individuals advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals and those from groups whose underrepresentation in the American professoriate has been severe and longstanding are particularly encouraged to apply.
CSUF is committed to retaining all faculty and has established affinity groups you can join to support your success.
The ideal candidate will be able to develop and teach lectures and seminars on topics in Asian or Latin American Cinema including contemporary film and media courses, film history, and film theory courses to undergraduates and to MFA students. Although the primary focus of this position is cinema studies, the ideal candidate might have additional research or teaching experience in Asian or Latin American television/streaming, web-based content, social media, and/or video games, from which to develop courses that meet the current demands of our students.
CSUF faculty are committed teacher/scholars who bring research and creative discovery to life for students in classrooms, labs, studios, and individually mentored projects. They teach broadly in the curricula of their departments, mentor students, and serve on departmental and university-wide committees. The primary responsibilities of the person in this position will include the development and teaching of introductory and advanced undergraduate courses and general education courses in the discipline and the development of courses in their area(s) of specialization. This person will also be responsible for producing scholarship or creative work commensurate with the requirements for tenure and promotion.
- Ph.D. in a relevant field by the time of appointment with an emphasis in Asian Cinema and Media or Latin American Cinema and Media;
- demonstrated commitment to and excellence in undergraduate teaching;
- a promising record of scholarly accomplishments appropriate to the assistant professor level;
- experience in working collaboratively with colleagues;
- ability to balance excellent teaching, scholarship, and service; and
- demonstrated commitment to working effectively with students from intersecting marginalized social groups.
A complete application must be received by electronic submission to be considered. To apply, please visit http://hr.fullerton.edu/careers/Faculty.php, choose full-time faculty, search for the position 532075, and provide the following required materials:
- cover letter in which you explain your qualifications and interest in the position;
- curriculum vitae, including a list of three references with contact information (letters will be requested at a later stage in the hiring process);
- candidate statement on commitment to inclusive excellence
- This statement provides the candidate’s unique perspective on their past and present contributions to and future aspirations for promoting diversity, inclusion, and social justice in their professional careers. This statement aims to help the department identify candidates with professional experience, intellectual commitments, and/or willingness to engage in activities that could help CSUF contribute to its mission in these areas. The statement shall address one or more of the following criteria:
- The candidate has acquired knowledge of barriers for underrepresented students and faculty in higher education.
- The candidate has experience in and is committed to serving underrepresented populations in higher education.
- The candidate has experience in and is committed to teaching and/or mentoring underrepresented students in a higher education environment.
- The candidate has experience integrating underrepresented populations and communities into scholarly and creative activities.
Please direct all questions about the position to: Rebecca A. Sheehan, at email@example.com 657-278-8288.
To be assured full consideration, all application materials must be received via the online submission portal by December 1, 2023. Review of materials will begin December 4, 2023. The anticipated appointment date is August 2024.
The College and Department
For more information about the Cinema and Television Arts Department and the College of Communications at CSUF, please visit https://communications.fullerton.edu/ctva/ and https://communications.fullerton.edu/
The Assistant Professor (Academic Year) classification salary range is $5,405 to $11,994 monthly (12 monthly payments per academic year). The anticipated hiring range is $6,271 to $6,393 per month.
Salary offered is commensurate with experience and qualifications. In addition, the California Equal Pay Act prohibits employers from paying its employees less than those of the opposite sex and/or another race or ethnicity for substantially similar work (https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/california_equal_pay_act.htm).
Summer research grants, moving expenses, start‐up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available.
An excellent comprehensive benefits package includes health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner, and dependent fee‐waiver; access to campus child care; and a defined‐benefit retirement through the state system and
optional tax sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, please visit https://hr.fullerton.edu/total-wellness/.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California ChildAbuse and Neglect Reporting Act and must comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083, revised July 21, 2017, as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be formally offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or the continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self‐disclose.
Notice of Non-Discrimination based on Gender or Sex and Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator (http://www.fullerton.edu/titleix/about/notice.php).
In accordance with the California State University (CSU) Out-of-State Employment Policy, the CSU is a state entity whose business operations reside within the State of California. It requires hiring employees to perform CSU-related work within the State of California.