- California State University, Fullerton
- Location details
- Fullerton, CA
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
Job no: 532411
Work type: Instructional Faculty – Tenured/Tenure-Track
Categories: Unit 3 - CFA - California Faculty Association, Faculty - Letters/Humanities, Tenured/Tenure-Track, Full Time
Department of Modern Languages & Literatures
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
California State University, Fullerton, values and is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse community. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, research, and/or service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community.
The Department of Modern Languages & Literatures at California State University, Fullerton, invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Spanish linguistics. The position begins in August 2024.
Duties include: teaching all levels of Spanish, but primarily upper-division and graduate-level courses in Spanish linguistics, student advisement, and contribution to Department, College, and University governance.
CSUF faculty are committed teacher/scholars who bring research and creative discovery to life for students in classrooms, labs, studios, and individually mentored projects. They teach broadly in the curricula of their departments, advise students, and serve on departmental and university-wide committees. The primary responsibilities of the person in this position will include the development and teaching of introductory and core courses in the discipline and the development of courses in their area(s) of specialization.
- Native/Superior (ACTFL) proficiency in Spanish
- Ph.D. in Spanish Linguistics by the start of the appointment. Advanced ABDs considered. If ABD, please have your dissertation committee chair provide a letter indicating your progress to date and detailing a timeline to completion.
- Specialization open
- Ability to balance excellent teaching, scholarship, and service
- Evidence of a minimum of three years of successful teaching experience at the college or university level
- Demonstrated potential for research
- Ability to interact effectively with a wide and culturally diverse range of students
- Experience in working collaboratively with colleagues
- Demonstrated potential for effective integration of technology into instruction
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English
- Background in areas such as diachronic linguistics, syntax and morphology, phonology and phonetics, forensic linguistics, laboratory phonology, sociolinguistics, translation, interpretation, Hispanic media, corpus linguistics, bilingualism, or other related fields is highly desirable.
A complete online application must be received by electronic submission to be considered. To apply, please visit http://hr.fullerton.edu/careers/Faculty.php, choose full-time faculty, search for the position 532411, and provide the following required materials:
- Letter of application in which you respond to the required qualifications
- Curriculum vitae
- Undergraduate and graduate transcripts (uploaded PDF copies)
- Research statement in which you describe your research program and discuss how students can be incorporated into your research
- Two writing samples (e.g., PDF copies of published or forthcoming articles or book chapters, or dissertation chapters; in Spanish English)
- Teaching portfolio including a teaching statement, sample course syllabi, and teaching evaluation summaries
- Three letters of recommendation (see instructions below)
- Candidate statement on commitment to inclusive excellence
This statement provides the candidate’s unique perspective on their past and present contributions to and future aspirations for promoting diversity, inclusion, and social justice in their professional careers. This statement aims to help the department identify candidates with professional experience, intellectual commitments, and/or willingness to engage in activities that could help CSUF contribute to its mission in these areas. The statement shall address one or more of the following criteria:
- The candidate has acquired knowledge of barriers for underrepresented students and faculty in higher education.
- The candidate has experience in and is committed to engaging in service with underrepresented populations in higher education.
- The candidate has experience in and is committed to teaching and/or mentoring underrepresented students in a higher education environment.
- The candidate has experience integrating underrepresented populations and communities into scholarly and creative activities.
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You can verify that CSUF has received each letter by logging back into your applicant portal.)
Please direct all questions about the position to: Dr. Reyes Fidalgo, DSC Chair, at email@example.com, or call the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures at 657-278-3534.
To be assured full consideration, all application materials must be received by November 10th. The committee will continue to review applications until the position is filled. The anticipated appointment date is August 2024.
The mission of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences at California State University, Fullerton, is to educate students to be culturally, globally, socially, historically, and environmentally astute, civically responsible alumni able to navigate an increasingly complex and interconnected world.
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences departments and programs offer students the breadth of a traditional liberal arts education in the humanities and social sciences while preparing them for a wide range of professions, for graduate school, and for advanced professional study in fields such as law, education, public administration, clinical psychology, and business. Students who graduate with a degree from H&SS are assured of having depth of understanding in their field of study and the useful core skills that are most attractive to prospective employers and to success in graduate school.
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences is the largest college at Cal State Fullerton, offering 23 undergraduate degrees, 38 minors, and 15 graduate degrees. The 20 departments and programs employ over 450 faculty and 50 staff members serving more than 7,500 students and annually awarding over 2,000 degrees. For more information about the college, please go to http://hss.fullerton.edu/
The Department of Modern Languages and Literatures offers diverse programs of language, cultural studies, linguistics, literature, and teacher education aimed at meeting the varying needs of today's students. Its Spanish program teaches an array of interdisciplinary courses, from elementary language classes to advanced seminars, and delivers the following academic degrees and programs:
- Master of Arts in Spanish
- Master of Arts in Spanish with a concentration in Chicana/Chicano Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Spanish
- Minor in Spanish
- Certificate of Spanish for Hispanic Media
- Certificate of Completion for courses in Spanish for Health Professions
- General Education courses
Further information regarding the program’s curriculum and its faculty may be obtained from the departmental website at http://hss.fullerton.edu/mll/academics/spanish/index.aspx.
California State University, Fullerton is a minority-serving institution and an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to increasing the diversity of the campus community and the curriculum. CSUF fosters an inclusive environment within which students, faculty, staff, and administrators thrive. Individuals advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals and those from underrepresented groups are particularly encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
The Assistant Professor (Academic Year) classification salary range is $5,405 to $11,994 monthly (12 monthly payments per academic year). The anticipated hiring range is $6,690 to $6,790 per month.
Salary offered is commensurate with experience and qualifications. In addition, the California Equal Pay Act prohibits employers from paying its employees less than those of the opposite sex and/or another race or ethnicity for substantially similar work (https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/california_equal_pay_act.htm).
Summer research grants, moving expenses, start‐up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available.
An excellent comprehensive benefits package includes health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner, and dependent fee‐waiver; access to campus child‐care; and a defined‐benefit retirement through the state system and optional tax sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, please visit https://hr.fullerton.edu/total-wellness/.
California State University, Fullerton (CSUF) is a minority-serving institution, affirmative action, and equal opportunity employer. CSUF is firmly committed to increasing the diversity of the campus community and the curriculum and fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators, and faculty thrive. Candidates who can contribute to this goal through their teaching, research, advising, and other activities are encouraged to identify their strengths and experiences. Individuals advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals and those from groups whose underrepresentation in the American professoriate has been severe and longstanding are particularly encouraged to apply.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
CSUF is committed to retaining all faculty and has established affinity groups you can join to support your success.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and must comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083, revised July 21, 2017, as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be formally offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or the continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self‐disclose.
Notice of Non-Discrimination based on Gender or Sex and Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator (http://www.fullerton.edu/titleix/about/notice.php).
In accordance with the California State University (CSU) Out-of-State Employment Policy, the CSU is a state entity whose business operations reside within the State of California. It requires hiring employees to perform CSU-related work within the State of California.
More search results
Visiting Assistant Professor or Instructor of Ger…
Lecturer in Spanish Studies
Santa Clara University
Queen’s National Scholar Position in Indigenous L…
Department of English and Creative Writing, Queen's University
Department Chair – Arts, Humanities, and Social S…
Florida Polytechnic University
Assistant Professor of Writing Studies