Assistant Professor of Writing Studies
- Hofstra University
- Location details
- Hempstead, New York
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Composition and rhetoric
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
- New York
Hofstra University, a private, nonsectarian, co-educational institution, is seeking qualified applicants for an anticipated full-time, tenure-track Assistant Professor faculty position in the Department of Writing Studies and Rhetoric, with research interest in Cultural Rhetorics with a preferred focus on Black rhetorical traditions. The successful candidate will join excellent faculty to teach first-year writing, create and teach upper level courses in Cultural Rhetorics, engage in scholarship, and work in communities alongside a multi-disciplinary faculty and a diverse student body with a deep commitment to enhancing social justice.
The Department of Writing Studies and Rhetoric hosts two majors and several minors, a vibrant Writing Center, and an internationally renowned Forensics/Speech and Debate team. We have strong support for undergraduate research. We offer many exciting opportunities for scholarly collaboration.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Teach core courses in first-year writing and upper level courses.
- Develop and teach courses in Cultural Rhetorics with a preferred focus on Black rhetorical traditions.
- Candidates must hold a PhD by August 1, 2024, in Writing Studies, Technical Writing, Rhetoric, Communication, English, or a closely related field.
- Successful candidates will have demonstrated a commitment to promoting equity, diversity, and inclusion in an educational environment.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Preference will be given to candidates with an established record or demonstrated potential for teaching excellence and scholarly activity.
Please upload the following with your application for consideration to https://hofstra.peopleadmin.com/postings/2788
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of teaching philosophy, interests, and goals
- Statement of how your work will contribute to the University’s goals related to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Sample of published, publish-ready paper, or dissertation chapter
- Sample syllabus and/or assignment
- Names and contact information for three references (full letters will be requested of finalists)
All applications received by December 1, 2023 will receive full consideration. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Inquiries should be directed to Writing Studies and Rhetoric Department, Dr. Lisa DeTora, Search Committee Chair, Lisa.M.DeTora@hofstra.edu
Hofstra University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering diversity in its faculty, administrative staff and student body, and encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community.
More search results
Assistant Professor of English
Virginia Military Institute
Clemson University Department of English
Visiting Assistant Professor of Technical Communi…
University of Memphis Department of English
Full-Time Lecturer in English, Non-Tenure-Track F…
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
TEACHING PROFESSOR & DIRECTOR of UCLA WRITING PRO…
University of California Los Angeles