Tenure Track Faculty- Assistant Professor of Professional and Technical Writing
- Norfolk State University
- Location details
- Norfolk, VA
- Commensurate with credentials and experience
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Technical and business writing, Technology and digital media
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
Norfolk State University's Department of English and Foreign Languages seeks candidates for a tenure-track appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor in Professional and Technical Writing beginning August 2024.
- Teaching and developing undergraduate English courses at various levels. Teaching responsibilities will include classes in the general education core as well as required and elective classes for the major.
- Active engagement in research, scholarship, and/ or grantsmanship. Contributions to program and curriculum development, including the development of an internship class for all English majors.
- Attendance at departmental meetings, collegial engagement with faculty, holding office hours, and meeting university deadlines. Advising and mentoring students and participating in recruitment activities. Participation in ongoing assessment and accreditation activities. Perform other duties as assigned by the Department Chair.
- PH.D. degree in English with a specialization in professional writing, technical writing, or a closely related subfield at the time of employment.
- Experience in teaching at the higher education level.
- Demonstrated record of scholarly research and/or publications in relevant subfields.
- Demonstrated commitment to serving diverse and/or underrepresented student populations.
- Considerable experience with in-person and online teaching.
- Experience in teaching and evidence of scholarly activity in one or more of the areas highlighted in the Job Description.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with a diverse student body, both verbally and in writing.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
You will be provided a confirmation of receipt when your application and/or résumé is submitted successfully. Please refer to “Your Application” in your account to check the status of your application for this position.
Review of applications will begin on November 10, 2023, and will continue until the position is filled.
Application Process: A complete packet is required for employment consideration. Qualified applicants should submit the following materials via the State of Virginia Jobs website, http://jobs.virginia.gov/cw/en-us/job/5001460?lApplicationSubSourceID=
- Cover letter explaining the candidate’s qualifications for the position
- Curriculum vitae
- One-page diversity statement: Applicants are required to submit a narrative statement describing their commitment to working effectively with faculty, staff, and students in a multicultural/multiethnic campus environment with a substantial population of students who are among the first generation of their family to attend a college or university.
- A one-page statement of teaching philosophy.
- Completed state application.
Candidates who are selected to be interviewed will be asked to provide the following additional materials:
- Copies of undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- Three letters of recommendation
Application and/or résumé for this position must be submitted electronically by 11:59 p.m. on the closing date through the Commonwealth of Virginia’s Job Board/Recruitment Management System (RMS). Mailed, emailed, faxed, or hand-delivered applications and/or résumés will not be accepted. Applicants who possess an Interagency Placement Screening Form (Yellow Form) or a Preferential Hiring Form (Blue Form) as issued under the Department of Human Resources Management (DHRM) Policy 1.30 Layoff (Commonwealth of Virginia Employees Only), must attach these forms when submitting their state application and/or résumé. The decision to interview an applicant is based solely on the information received for this position from either the electronic application and/or résumé. RMS provides a confirmation of receipt when your application and/or résumé is submitted successfully. Please refer to “Your Application” in your RMS account to check the status of your application for this position. Norfolk State University conducts background checks on all candidates identified as a finalist for employment consideration. The type of background check(s) performed are dependent upon the type of position for which you have been identified as a finalist and may include: criminal history, including sexual offender registry checks, reference checks, degree validation, DMV (driving) records, license verification, and credit report reviews. The results of background checks are made available to University employing officials. As a finalist, you will be required to sign an Authorization to Release form. Norfolk State University utilizes Form I-9 and E-verify in the verification of eligibility for employment. Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S. without employer sponsorship
NSU is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all persons and applicants, without regard to age, color, disability, gender, national origin, political affiliation, genetic information, race, religion, sexual orientation, sex (including pregnancy), or veteran status. NSU encourages and invites minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
Norfolk State University is particularly interested in candidates who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for all students regardless of background. Candidates must include a diversity statement that reflects their commitment to diversity and inclusion and details their experience working in diversity initiatives and/or with students from underrepresented groups.
About the Department
The Department of English and Foreign Languages at Norfolk State University offers programs leading to a Bachelor of Arts in English,a Bachelor of Arts in English with a Secondary Education Endorsement, and a Bachelor of Arts in English with a Creative WritingConcentration. Department members have recently published works of creative writing and literary analysis and have accompanied students on a study abroad program to London. English faculty also maintain a local chapter of Sigma Tau Delta and host a creative writing festival once a year, the William Carroll Writers’ Festival. The Department also offers courses in Arabic, French, Spanish, and Public Speaking as part of the general education requirements. The department is particularly interested in candidates who have demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for all students regardless of their background.
About Norfolk State University
Norfolk State University is a comprehensive urban public, doctoral-granting institution committed to transforming students’ lives through exemplary teaching, research, and service. The University is a top-ranked Historically Black College and University (HBCU) with nationally recognized STEM programs in addition to diverse and robust programs in business, education, liberal arts, and social work. It enrolls 6,000 students in over thirty undergraduate and nineteen online and in-person graduate programs. The University garners over$20M in annual grant expenditures, has an NCAA Division I athletic program with fifteen sports and eleven MEAC conference championships in the last three years, and a coveted marching band invitation for participation in the 2023 Rose Parade.
About the City of Norfolk
Norfolk is one of seven cities that make up the Hampton Roads Region. With a population of about two million, Hampton Roads is the 33rd largest Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) in the nation, the 8th largest metro area in the Southeast, and the 2nd largest between Atlanta and Washington, DC. It is home to the world's largest naval base, the Port of Virginia, one of the world's leading maritime gateways, and NATO’s only North American headquarters (NATO Supreme Allied Commander Transformation). By virtue of its strategic location, it is a cosmopolitan area with many minority groups from every corner of the world. Norfolk has big-city amenities and attractions of arts and culture, as well as cuisines of the Eastern Seaboard. In addition, the region boasts accessible parks, riverfront, beaches, and numerous festivals, all favorable for weekend getaways.
More search results
Visiting Assistant Professor of Technical Communi…
University of Memphis Department of English
Instructor/Assistant Professor of English (24-37)
Francis Marion Univ.
Assistant Professor or Instructor in Writing Stud…
American University of Sharjah
ASSISTANT TEACHING PROFESSOR
Missouri University of Science and Technology - English & Technical Communication Department
Open Rank/Tenure Track Faculty in Humanites, Soci…
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology