Associate or Full Professor, Sydney Blair Memorial Professorship in Creative Writing
- Location details
- Charlottesville, VA
- Not Posted
- Position type
- Professor, Associate, Professor, Full
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Creative writing
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
The University of Virginia’s Department of English/Program in Creative Writing—one of the nation’s highest-ranked—invites applications for the Sydney Blair Memorial Professorship in Creative Writing (fiction), at the level of associate or full professor. Created through a gift from the Kapnick Foundation, this professorship honors the memory of longtime faculty member Sydney Blair and her love of teaching. We are looking for an outstanding and innovative writer-teacher who can lead undergraduate and graduate workshops and seminars in fiction, as well as in a secondary or subgenre such as creative nonfiction, poetry, scriptwriting, literary journalism, literary translation, graphic narrative, hybrid writing, etc. We are especially interested in writers with an international and/or experimental focus. Teaching responsibilities will be two courses per term with every sixth term on leave; position is expected to begin Fall 2024. We seek candidates with promise of continued creative excellence, a commitment to teaching, and a readiness to assume service responsibilities within the Creative Writing Program—candidates whose skills and experiences will advance the university’s ambition to cultivate the most vibrant and diverse educational community.
- PhD or MFA in creative writing or equivalent required
- Thee years of experience required
- Two books of fiction from leading national presses required, with three books strongly preferred;
- substantial publications in a secondary or subgenre preferred
- five years of university-level teaching, with a proven record of excellence preferred;
- promise of continued creative excellence, a commitment to teaching, and a readiness to assume service responsibilities within the Creative Writing Program preferred.
Visit http://apply.interfolio.com/133242 to apply.
The position will remain open until filled; review of applications will begin December 1, 2023. Only complete applications will be considered.