Department Chair – Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
- Florida Polytechnic University
- Location details
- Lakeland, FL
- Commensurate with experience and qualifications
- Position type
- Department chair
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Employment category
SUMMARY OF POSITION ROLE/RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Department of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences at Florida Polytechnic University seeks candidates for a Department Chair with an appointment at either the Associate Professor or Professor level.
This individual must have broad teaching capacity that supports the overall mission of the department which is:
- delivery of university-level general education courses associated with arts, humanities, and social sciences,
- delivery of upper division courses that enhance the education of undergraduate students with declared majors in engineering and the applied sciences,
- overall contribution to, and enhancement of, the undergraduate student experience.
Individuals with professional “intersections” between the humanities and the technical fields, such as history of science, or ethics, technology, and society are encouraged to apply. The Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences department does not host a degree program, and, consistent with the stated polytechnic mission of the university, there are no plans to develop or deliver an undergraduate degree hosted by this department in the foreseeable future.
The appointment at the Associate Professor or Professor level will begin on August 15, 2024; appointments as early as January of 2024 will be considered where appropriate. Department Chair appointments are for a term of three years, are renewable, and department chairs also hold academic faculty appointments.
Florida Poly is strategically growing its enrollment and is looking for a leader who will focus on the quality of teaching and appropriate setting of university level learning outcomes for service courses that are critical to the institutional mission, will work with faculty to enhance the impact of the AHSS course offering consistent with the curriculum boundaries within the institution and the state, and enhance the department’s impact on the undergraduate student experience.
Applicants will provide evidence of prior success in teaching, service to the institution in a significant and impactful manner, and scholarship as it relates to the individual’s chosen field.
- Ph.D. in Arts, Humanities, or Social Sciences
- Appointment at a four-year university within the United States at the rank Associate Professor or higher.
DESIRED / PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Direct experience as a department chair or associate chair of a department.
- Demonstrated involvement in department level or institution level policy creation, management, or curriculum development.
- Experience with students’ academic mentoring.
- Curriculum development and significant teaching experience at all collegiate levels.
- Active participation in professional activities and organizations.
ABOUT FLORIDA POLY:
Florida Polytechnic University opened for classes in 2014‐15 and is the twelfth university in the Florida State University System. The University was created as an exclusively STEM‐focused public university that offers high‐value undergraduate and graduate degrees and that has intentional industry connections with a focus on economic development of the high‐tech I‐4 corridor. Dedicated to preparing students for the competitive STEM workforce, Florida Polytechnic University blends traditional subject matter mastery with problem solving and laboratory experiences to provide students with learning opportunities applicable to both the workplace and a career of lifelong learning. The University delivers its courses in small class sizes, emphasizes a positive student to faculty experience, and is dedicated to both its teaching and research mission.
Florida Polytechnic University began its 10th year with students on campus in August and in its first decade has gone from being nothing but a cow pasture at the time of our founding in 2012 to a thriving campus ranked by U.S. News and World Report as among the top 20 public engineering programs in the country that don’t offer a doctorate as well as the number 1 public college in the southeast US. As a regionally and ABET-accredited university, we will continue to grow in student body size, number of buildings, and very importantly, faculty.
Faculty are employed at Florida Poly via renewable, term defined appointments, codified in a collective bargaining agreement, that substantially mirrors tenure systems with reappointment and progression in rank upon completion of a significant review of accomplishments.
Lakeland, home to Florida Polytechnic University’s ultra‐modern campus, is located along the I‐4 High Tech Corridor halfway between Tampa and Orlando. Our central Florida community combines small town comfort with big‐city culture. Florida’s High‐Tech Corridor is home to 11,000 high‐tech businesses, and Polk County alone has more than 600,000 residents, four universities and one state college. Lakeland is just a 45‐minute drive from Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, professional sports teams, and thriving performing art centers. With no income tax in Florida, and home values increasing by approximately 10% over the past year, Lakeland and Central Florida continue to rise among the best places to live and work.
EXPECTED STARTING SALARY: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE:
- Positions are open until filled (or recruitment cancelled). Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.
- Employment is contingent upon proof of the legal right to work in the United States. This proof must be provided prior to employment at the University. An appointment is not final until proof is provided.
APPLICATION PROCESS: All Applicants are required to submit the following in PDF format to the Florida Polytechnic Careers Website:
- Cover letter, including information regarding the candidate’s leadership vision
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Research Interests
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- List of at least 3 professional references (names and contact information)
Florida Polytechnic University is an equal opportunity/equal access institution. It is the policy of the Board of Trustees to provide equal opportunity for employment and educational opportunities to all (including applicants for employment, employees, applicants for admission, students, and others affiliated with the University) without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnicity, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or genetic information.
This position requires a background check, which may include a level II screening as required by the Florida Statute §435.04.
More search results
Lecturer in Spanish Studies
Santa Clara University
Queen’s National Scholar Position in Indigenous L…
Department of English and Creative Writing, Queen's University
Assistant Professor of Writing Studies
Assistant Professor of Writing Studies and Direct…
Assistant Professor of Spanish (Open Specialty)
Idaho State University