Instructor of Spanish
- Saint Michael's College
- Location details
- Colchester, Vermont
- Position type
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Language teaching, Linguistics
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Non-tenure track
The Department of Classical and Modern Languages and Literatures at Saint Michael's College invites applications for an Instructor of Spanish position to begin in August 2024. We seek a versatile teacher with a commitment to undergraduate education in the liberal arts tradition. Candidates should be prepared to teach all levels of undergraduate language, culture, and literature courses: introductory and intermediate language classes, advanced written communication (composition), conversation, and a variety of cultural and literary topics at the advanced level. The area of specialization is open, and candidates must be prepared to teach a range of cultural and literary topics that include both Latin America and Spain. Experience teaching, or a willingness to teach, Spanish for professional/specific purposes — such as Business Spanish or Spanish for Health Professions — is also highly desirable.
This role includes teaching six courses annually at various levels and some additional responsibilities, including: placement exam evaluations; student support and recruitment; curriculum and program development; community and departmental engagement.
Our lived experience impacts how we self-assess our skills, experience, and qualifications. In particular, data and statistics have shown that candidates who are BIPOC, LGBTQ+, women, people from working-class backgrounds, people with disabilities, and others with minoritized and marginalized identities may not apply to jobs when they do not believe they meet 100% of the requirements and expected responsibilities listed in the job descriptions. Some responsibilities and skills are teachable and can be learned on the job. If you can imagine yourself in this position, bringing value to our students and community and meeting most of what we are looking for, please apply.
Benefits include health, dental, vision, employer paid life and disability insurance, voluntary life, critical illness and accident insurance options, parental leave, flexible spending accounts (healthcare and dependent care), 401(k), employee and dependent tuition benefits, employee assistance program, well-being programs and opportunities, discounted gym membership, paid volunteer time, use of the athletic facilities and the library, and countless opportunities to attend presentations, lectures, and other campus activities.
Applicants must have the following:
- Native or near-native proficiency in Spanish
- Master’s degree in Spanish Language with a specialization or experience in Hispanic, Spanish, and/or Latin American cultures and literatures, or closely related fields, from an accredited institution at the time of appointment; Ph.D. preferred
- Teaching experience, preferably at the college or university level
- Commitment to incorporating a variety of perspectives and preparing students for working in diverse and inclusive environments
An offer of employment will be contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.
Please be prepared to attach the following documents:
- Professional resume or curriculum vitae
- Cover letter summarizing teaching and professional experiences, contributions to diversity and inclusion, and interest in cultivating equity and diversity in academic communities
- Statement of teaching and research interests
- Teaching evaluations and/or evidence of teaching effectiveness
- Three letters of reference
For full consideration, please submit application materials by January 5, 2024. The position remains open until filled.
For a complete job description, benefits information, and to apply online, please visit: http://bit.ly/40KK48G
More search results
Senior Lecturer - Spanish
University of Texas Permian Basin
AY 24-25 Spanish Language Lecturers
University of California Los Angeles
Lecturer in Portuguese
Princeton University - Department of Spanish and Portuguese
Romance Language Advisor and Spanish Lecturer
Instructor - Spanish
Louisiana State University - Baton Rouge