Post Doc Fellow, Department of Romance & Arabic Languages & Literatures, College of Arts and Science
- University of Cincinnati
- Location details
- Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
- REQ: 94440
- Position type
- Postdoctoral fellow
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Arabic, Spanish
- Language teaching, Linguistics
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Non-tenure track
Founded in 1819, the University of Cincinnati ranks among the nation’s best urban public research universities. Home to over 50,000 students, 11,000 faculty and staff and 332,000 alumni, UC combines a Top 35 public research university with a physical setting The New York Times calls “the most ambitious campus design program in the country.”
With the launch of Next Lives Here, the Cincinnati Innovation District, a $100 million JobsOhio investment, nine straight years of record enrollment, global leadership in cooperative education, a dynamic academic health center and entry into the Big 12 Conference, UC’s momentum has never been stronger. UC’s annual budget tops $1.65 billion and its endowment totals $1.8 billion.
The Department of Romance & Arabic Languages & Literatures (RALL) at the University of Cincinnati seeks to hire a postdoctoral fellow for a one-year position, renewable for up to two additional years. The postdoctoral fellow will work with the research team to conduct a study funded by a federal grant from the United States Department of Education’s International Research and Studies (IRS) Program that seeks to investigate the impact of language learners’ experiences in virtual worlds. The languages included in this study are Spanish and Arabic. This research will be conducted in collaboration with the CEDAR Title VI Language Resource Center and the UCSIM Center for Simulations and Virtual Environments Research. The postdoctoral fellow will report directly to the Principal Investigator.
Review of applications will begin on 12/30/2023, and the position will remain open until filled. Please apply at jobs.uc.edu and include a letter of interest, CV, and three letters of recommendation. Letters and/or specific questions may be sent to email@example.com. This position is not eligible for H-1B sponsorship.
- Screen participants, conduct research, gather and analyze data, and ensure that all experiments are appropriately conducted following the policies and procedures of the University of Cincinnati.
- Prepare data summaries, reports, manuscripts and presentations of research results. Specifically, preparation of results for publication and the dissemination of findings both within the University of Cincinnati and at academic conferences.
- Participate/assist in manuscript writing for publication in scientific journals and/or presentation; may assist in grant writing.
- Keep informed of developments in field of Second Language Acquisition to maintain and enhance professional expertise.
- Lab maintenance, including equipment maintenance and ordering of supplies, as needed.
- Engage in appropriate training and professional development opportunities.
- Perform related duties based on departmental need.
Prior to effective date of appointment, all of the following:
- Doctoral Degree in Applied Linguistics, Second Language Acquisition, or related field.
- At least one year of experience working with technology for language learners (for example, creating applications, working with Web 2.0 tools, H5P, etc.).
- A minimum of intermediate high proficiency in either Spanish or Arabic (speaking and listening) as per the rating scale used by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) or B1.2 proficiency as per the Common European Framework of Reference for Language (CEFR).
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
- Ability to participate in simulated (virtual reality) environments using a headset.
- Travel between University of Cincinnati Main Campus and UCSIM laboratory space (approximately one mile).
Compensation and Benefits
UC offers a wide array of complementary and affordable benefit options, to meet the financial, educational, health, and wellness needs of you and your family. Eligibility varies by position and FTE.
- Competitive salary range dependent on the candidate's experience.
- Comprehensive insurance plans including medical, dental, vision, and prescription coverage.
- Flexible spending accounts and an award-winning employee wellness program, plus an employee assistance program.
- Financial security via our life and long-term disability insurance, accident and illness insurance, and retirement savings plans.
- Generous paid time off work options including vacation, sick leave, annual holidays, and winter season days in addition to paid parental leave.
- Tuition remission is available for employees and their eligible dependents.
- Enjoy discounts for on and off-campus activities and services.
As a UC employee, and an employee of an Ohio public institution, if hired you will not contribute to the federal Social Security system, other than contributions to Medicare. Instead, UC employees have the option to contribute to a state retirement plan (OPERS, STRS) or an alternative retirement plan (ARP).
To learn more about why UC is a great place to work, please visit our careers page at https://www.uc.edu/careers.html.
For questions about the UC recruiting process or to request accommodations with the application, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Cincinnati, as a multi-national and culturally diverse university, is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse place of learning and employment. As part of a complete job application you will be asked to include a Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion statement.
The University of Cincinnati is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
SF:OMJ SF:RM SF:HEJ, SF:INS SF:HERC SF:DIV SF:LJN SF:IHE
More search results
Research Associate (Post-Doctoral Fellow) - Cente…
The Graduate Center, CUNY
Postdoctoral Research Fellow in American Literatu…
English Faculty, University of Oxford
Postdoctoral Fellow in French
Writing Program Postdoctoral Teaching Associates
Northeastern University Writing Program
Post Doctoral Fellow in German
University of Utah - Department of World Languages & Cultures