Director of Communication and Language Support Development - Office of the Provost - SASC
- Location details
- 5000 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213
- Position type
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Employment category
The Student Academic Success Center (SASC) is a collaborative, equity-focused, data informed, and student-centered resource for undergraduate and graduate students that offers a full range of academic support programs in one integrated Center, including disability resources, academic coaching, tutoring, 1-1 support, and more. Communication competency development for students that is relevant across the disciplines and builds upon the strengths and needs of a diverse and multilingual student body is a key and integrated component of Student Academic Success Center
The Director of Communication and Language Support Development will focus on the delivery of a strengths-based, equity-driven communication competency development and support program, specifically through 1-1 consultation, workshops, other programming, and partnership with communication experts across the university.
The Director of Communication Support Development will leverage a strong communication background with experience in providing communication and language support for undergraduate and graduate students. The Director will:
- partner with the Executive Director and the Student Academic Success Center team in the delivery of overall academic support programs related to written, oral and visual communication as critical core competency,
- be a member of the Student Academic Success Center leadership team and will report directly to the Executive Director,
- will contribute to the further development of a cross-functional administrative success team for the Center,
- coordinate and administer communication support efforts building on the expertise of communication consultants,
- provide supervision and coordination for the language support and communication support teams and
- participate in data gathering and analysis in student needs and progress related to Communication Competency outcomes.
Inclusion and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who can effectively interact with a varied population of diverse audiences. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
- Education: master’s degree in English, Rhetoric, Communication, or related field
- Experience: 5+ years of relevant work experience. Experience working in a writing/communication center, including experience training writing consultants. Experience working with multilingual college students.
- Demonstrated success implementing programming that supports communication skill development in a variety of disciplines, particularly STEM- related.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Licenses or certifications: N/A
- Education: PhD in English, Rhetoric, Communications, or related field
Essential Functions (% of effort)
- 25% Program Delivery – coordinate broad schedule and offerings of communication and language skill focused consultations and work; plan and facilitate Communication Support workshops.
- 25% Program Planning - guide strategic planning for communication and language support; partner with key campus partners within our departments of English and Modern Languages and other communication experts across campus; maintain connections with student services offices and programs to understand communication needs and tasks required of students at CMU.
- 20% Training and Resource Development - create curricula for Communication and Language support practica and ongoing training of the consultant staff: create, arrange, teach, revise resource offerings and complete SP0’s and provide feedback related to ongoing observations . (digital handouts, concept recordings, workshop recordings)
- 15% Administrative Duties and Success Integration – in partnership with the Success Center’s operation team, create and implement processes and procedures related to registration, data gathering, and ongoing, summative assessment protocols for programs under purview.
- 10% Community Contribution - contribute to Student Academic Success Center. Propose programs or program revisions to meet support needs of graduate and undergraduate students.
- Successful background check
Joining our team in this position opens the door to an array of exceptional benefits, available to all full-time Carnegie Mellon University employees. Experience the full spectrum of advantages, from comprehensive medical, prescription, dental, and vision insurance to enticing retirement savings programs. Unlock your potential with tuition benefits, and take well-deserved breaks with generous paid time off and holidays. Rest easy knowing you're covered by life and accidental death and disability insurance. For a comprehensive overview of the benefits awaiting you, explore: https://www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance.
Are you interested in this exciting opportunity?! Apply today directly on our website.
Program, Project and Operations Management
Staff – Regular
Full Time/Part time
More search results
Assistant Professor (Southeast Asia: Digital Stud…
National University of Singapore
Researcher in World Cinema
Assistant Professor of English
Virginia Military Institute
Director of Africana Studies Program
Lehigh University Africana Studies Program
Senior Lecturer - Spanish
University of Texas Permian Basin