Romance Language Advisor and Spanish Lecturer
- Binghamton University
- Location details
- Binghamton NY
- Position type
- Lecturer/instructor, Other
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Language teaching
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Non-tenure track
- New York
The Department of Romance Languages and Literatures seeks to hire a lecturer for up to a three-year period, renewable upon successful initial appointment. This position will be split between advising and instruction. The person hired will work with all declared Spanish, French, and Italian majors and minors, as well as those who wish to pursue one of these degrees. In doing so, this hire will work closely with both department administration, including the chair, undergraduate director and office staff, as well as university offices like Harpur Advising and the Office of International Education and Global Initiatives. While this hire will help students map out their academic paths as they pursue degrees in one or more of our languages, they will also take part in extracurricular activities to experience the vibrant offerings of our department. Given the significant advising load that this position entails, the regular lecturer load of three courses per semester will be reduced to three courses per academic year, as detailed in the job description below. Teaching will be in the Spanish division of the department.
Since this role is split between advising and instruction, job expectations include the following:
- Hold in-person office hours three days per week for four hours each day
- Communicate, via email or in person, with all interested departmental minors and majors
- Maintain regular contact with declared minors and majors, scheduling meetings to review progress toward their language degree
- Keep written record of meetings with students and any exceptions toward their degree (in collaboration with appropriate offices)
- Review and approve syllabi for any courses from other institutions or study abroad programs, which may count toward a student's language degree
- Attend orientation sessions and relevant meetings that take place during the academic year
- Assist in recruitment initiatives by attending related activities on campus
- Administer Middle States assessment surveys to graduating seniors and report on findings
- Teach three elementary or intermediate Spanish courses per academic year; language leads generate syllabi and calendars for said courses, although instructors are responsible for the design of day-to-day lesson plans
- Hold office hours for students, which may also align with the hours previously noted under advising.
- Correspond and collaborate with language leads and other faculty of similar courses
Candidate must hold a MA, MAT, or higher degree in Spanish or a related field. In the candidate's dossier, teaching experience should be evident, and positive evaluations should make clear one's strong rapport with students and faculty, level of organization, and effectiveness of teaching. Experience advising students is strongly preferred. Proficiency in an additional Romance language is also preferred, though not required.
The State University of New York is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of Binghamton University to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or arrest and/or criminal conviction record unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
As required by title IX and its implementing regulations, Binghamton University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in the educational programs and activities which it operates. This requirement extends to employment and admission. Inquiries about sex discrimination may be directed to the University Title IX Coordinator or directly to the Office of Civil Rights (OCR). Contact information for the Title IX Coordinator and OCR, as well as the University's complete Non-Discrimination Notice may be found here.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Binghamton University is a tobacco-free campus effective August 1, 2017.
All applicants must use the university applicant tracking system, Interview Exchange: http://binghamton.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=172398
Dossier: 1) Updated CV; 2) Cover Letter, which should explain interest in this position, qualifications, experience with advising students, and approach to teaching language; 3) Teaching evaluations (an ideal document would include both quantitative and qualitative data from three different courses, though this may vary depending on what candidates have available); 4) Contact information for three letters of recommendation (that will be requested if selected for an interview)
Interview process: Review of applications will begin on March 7, 2024, and continue thereafter until the position is filled; preference will be given to applicants who submit by that date.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
More search results
Assistant Professor (Southeast Asia: Digital Stud…
National University of Singapore
Researcher in World Cinema
Assistant Professor of English
Virginia Military Institute
Director of Africana Studies Program
Lehigh University Africana Studies Program
Senior Lecturer - Spanish
University of Texas Permian Basin