Instructor or Assistant Professor of Spanish and Latin
- William Jewell College
- Location details
- Liberty, MO 64068
- Position type
- Lecturer/instructor, Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Language teaching
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Non-tenure track
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Department of Languages invites applications for an Instructor or Non-Tenure-Track Assistant Professor of Spanish and Latin. This is a full-time, non-tenure-track position beginning August 2020, with rank depending on qualifications. A Ph.D. in Spanish or a closely related field, area of specialization open, is preferred with the ideal candidate qualified to teach at all levels in the Spanish program and elementary and intermediate courses in classical Latin. The teaching load is 3/3, with courses that are four credits each. The position likely includes teaching three Spanish courses and three Latin courses per academic year. Preference will be given to applicants with strong leadership skills, the ability to teach a range of undergraduate language courses, and the desire to integrate fully into the life of a liberal arts college.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The exact assignment of courses to be taught will ultimately be determined by the needs of the Department of Languages and the qualifications of the person hired.It is expected that the teaching assignment will include teaching three Spanish courses and three Latin courses per academic year. The teaching load for the position is likely to average 12 contact/credit hours per week.
- The faculty member may have academic advising duties, depending on the needs of the College.
- Attendance at appropriate faculty meetings for the Department of Languages is expected.
Minimum qualifications: M.A. in Spanish or Classics/Latin, area of specialization open, with ability to teach elementary and intermediate courses in both Spanish and classical Latin.
Preferred qualifications: Ph.D. in Spanish or related field, area of specialization open, with ability to teach courses at all levels in the Spanish program and elementary and intermediate courses in classical Latin.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job.
Candidates must submit the following documents:
- Letter of application
- Transcripts (copies are acceptable until finalists are selected)
- Brief statement of teaching philosophy, plus any additional evidence of teaching effectiveness
- Three confidential letters of recommendation (to be sent directly by your referees), along with name and contact information for the referees
Applicants that need accommodation for the application or interview process, please make such accommodation request in advance to the Office of Human Resources.
William Jewell College
Office of Human Resources
500 College Hill Box 1017
Liberty, MO 64068
Review of applications will begin on November 25, 2019, and continue until the position is filled.
All final candidates will be required to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment.
William Jewell College is a nationally-ranked liberal arts college with an enrollment of about 900 students. It is located in Liberty, Missouri, a suburb of Kansas City. The Department of Languages offers a major and minor in Spanish, along with elementary and intermediate-level courses in Arabic, French, Latin, and Spanish.
Our Mission: We educate our community to ask reflective questions, apply critical thought and act with purpose.
William Jewell College is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
More search results
Two-Year Postdoctoral Teaching Fellowship in Clas…
College of the Holy Cross, Classics Department
University of Kentucky, Department of English
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF PRACTICE IN TRANSLATION ST…
Open Rank Professor of German
Professor of Germanic Studies
University of Chicago Germanic Studies Department