Lecturer of Russian and Director of Russian Language Program
- University of Pittsburgh
- Location details
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Position type
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Non-tenure track
The Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures at the University of Pittsburgh invites applications for the position of Director of the Russian Language Program, pending budgetary approval. This appointment will be made at the rank of Lecturer; the initial appointment is for one year, followed by a three-year renewable term. Duties include:
• Overseeing and assessing the integrity, coherence, and effectiveness of the department’s Russian language sequence.
• Mentoring (including orientation and training) and evaluation of instructors in the Russian language program.
• Assessment of student outcomes on a regular basis to comply with external and internal reporting requirements.
• Teaching assignments will include primarily Russian language, literature, and culture at the undergraduate level, with others as needed. Non-teaching duties include oversight of the cultural and outreach activities, Russian placement and proficiency testing, and program assessment.
• Scholarly publication and active participation in national professional associations is encouraged, but is not a prerequisite for appointment or renewal.
A Ph.D. in Slavic or a related field (preferably with a specialization in Russian second-language acquisition) is required by the appointment start date, as are native or ACTFL superior proficiency in Russian and English and teaching experience at the university level (preferably at an Anglophone institution). Preference will be shown to applicants who have completed ACTFL OPI certification, and secondarily to those whose certification is in progress; all candidates must confirm their commitment to obtain certification. The ability to teach a second Slavic language is desirable, but is not a prerequisite for appointment.
Review of applications will begin 1 November 2019 and will continue until the position is filled. The appointment begins with the fall term of 2020, with an anticipated start date of 26 August 2020.
Candidates should submit, via Interfolio, a letter of application, CV, teaching portfolio, and the names and contact information for three persons able to provide confidential professional letters of recommendation (we do not need the letters themselves at this time, but we do need the names of the recommenders). Please also provide a brief description of how your teaching and service demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion. Questions may be directed to Ms. Monika Losagio, Administrative Officer (412-624-5221, email@example.com).
The University of Pittsburgh is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer and values equality of opportunity, human dignity, and diversity. EEO/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled.
More search results
The City College of New York
Visiting Lecturer in Russian
Associate or Assistant Professor- Tenure System
Michigan State University
President's Excellence Chair in Network Cultures
Department of English Language and Literatures, University of British Columbia
Assistant Professor in Second Language Acquisitio…
Connecticut College (Hispanic Studies Department)