Chair, Department of Humanities
- MICHIGAN TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
- Location details
- Houghton, MI
- Position type
- Department chair
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
The Department of Humanities at Michigan Technological University is seeking a chair to lead our multidisciplinary department in implementing a shared vision for research and teaching excellence. The role of the humanities is integral to our broad technological university's strategic plan, and the chair will be responsible for supporting the department’s new initiatives as well as its ongoing efforts to foster innovative interdisciplinary research while advancing the graduate and undergraduate programs.
- Provide leadership in achieving excellence in teaching, research, and service.
- Promote a culture of diversity and inclusion.
- Advance a broad conception of the humanities that integrates multiple disciplines.
- Guide advancement of the strategic plans of the Department, the College, and the University.
- Advocate for departmental interests with administrators, alumni, and potential funders.
- Supervise department faculty and staff; conduct progress reviews of untenured faculty and make recommendations on reappointment, tenure, and promotion cases; conduct performance reviews of all department faculty.
Departmental Educational and Research Programs:
- Lead efforts to recruit undergraduate and graduate students in department programs.
- Support faculty research development.
- Contribute to university advancement activities by cultivating relationships with prospective and current donors and pursuing funding from various agencies.
- Oversee the review and assessment of academic programs within the Department.
- Provide leadership for the continued promotion of exchange agreements and collaborative programs with domestic and international universities.
- Manage a diverse teaching and learning community.
- Actively mentor faculty and staff.
- Foster shared governance and transparency.
- Manage the department's finances responsibly and strategically to achieve short- and long-term goals.
- Rank of associate or full professor
- Strong record of scholarly activity.
- Documented excellence in teaching and mentoring undergraduate and graduate students.
- Demonstrated leadership in interdisciplinary research and/or pedagogy.
- Experience leading an academic unit or program.
- Experience managing organizational budgets.
- Proactive leader with demonstrated excellence in promoting teamwork and effective organizational strategies.
- Experience working effectively within a structure of shared governance.
- Demonstrated success in advocating for or collaborating in projects from multiple disciplines.
- Demonstrated excellence in leading successful undergraduate and/or graduate programs.
- Success in securing and leading externally funded research projects.
- Experience engaging with prospective students, alumni, and corporate representatives.
Our department works at the intersections of communication, composition, literature, modern languages, philosophy, rhetoric, visual studies, linguistics, gender studies, and technical communication. We offer B.A. degrees in Communication, Culture and Media; English; and Scientific and Technical Communication; a B.S. degree in Scientific and Technical Communication; and M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Rhetoric, Theory, and Culture. (For a complete list of our major and minor degree programs, please go to: https://www.mtu.edu/humanities/). The department is also responsible for the university Composition Program.
Michigan Tech has recently launched nine new and exciting initiatives that are closely associated with Humanities, including the Institute for Policy Ethics and Culture (IPEC); Diversity and Inclusion; Education for the 21st Century; Health and Quality of Life; and Sustainability and Resilience (https://www.mtu.edu/president/techforward/techforwardthemes.pdf). These initiatives broaden the Humanities Department's opportunities to shape MTU's technological, ethical, and political involvement across the globe.
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands: to be provided by Human Resources.
The position will remain open until filled; review of applications will begin November 18, 2019.
Please submit application materials to: http://www.jobs.mtu.edu/postings/8688
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer, which includes providing equal opportunity for protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Michigan Tech is an ADVANCE Institution, one of a limited number of universities in receipt of NSF funds in support of our commitment to increase diversity and the participation and advancement of women in STEM.
Michigan Tech acknowledges the importance of supporting spouses/partners; and retaining a quality workforce. Michigan Tech is committed to offering career exploration advice and assistance whenever feasible and appropriate at the University and in the local community. See Partner Engagement Program for additional information.
More search results
Ford Foundation Fellowship Programs: Predoctoral,…
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
The Helen Herzog Zell Visiting Professorship in F…
University of Michigan - English Department
Assistant Professor of Fine Arts
USAFA Department of English and Fine Arts
Associate/Assistant Professor: Cluster Hire in La…
Duke University Trinity College of Arts & Sciences
Open Rank Search: Cluster Hire in Asian American …
Duke University Trinity College of Arts & Sciences